1. I think all women go through periods where we hate this about ourselves, we don’t like that. It’s great to get to a place where you dismiss anything you’re worried about. I find flaws attractive. I find scars attractive.
2. Different is good. So, don’t fit in. Don’t sit still. Don’t ever try to do less than you are. When somebody tells you you’re different, smile and hold your head up high and be proud. And as your villain, I would also say — cause a little trouble. It’s good for you.
3. “f being sane is thinking there’s something wrong with being different….I’d rather be completely fucking mental.”
4. The side of fairytales I don’t like is that they always have happy endings, that there’s just good and evil, and things are perfect. But life is a little more complicated, and that’s what I try to teach my kids.
5. Without pain, there would be no suffering, without suffering we would never learn from our mistakes. To make it right, pain and suffering is the key to all windows, without it, there is no way of life.
6. To be in any way a positive contribution, that’s all anybody wants to be. It’s all I’ve ever wanted to be. I wanted to be an artist, be a mother. You want to feel that in your life you’ve been of use, in whatever way that comes out.
7. There’s something about death that is comforting. The thought that you could die tomorrow frees you to appreciate your life now.
8. I want to work; then, as my kids get older, I want to have adventures. I want to visit all their countries: learn and live inside all their cultures.
9. Anytime I feel lost, I pull out a map and stare. I stare until I have reminded myself that life is a giant adventure, so much to do, to see.
10. I’m looking very much forward to growing older. I want to be an exhausted older woman but with a very full life behind me and one still going.